The DevOps Engineer is responsible for automating and building, monitoring, and management of the private cloud compute and infrastructure used every day by Atomic Data and their customers. This engineer is constantly looking to optimize systems and services for security, automation, and performance/availability, while ensuring solutions developed adhere and align to architecture standards. This individual is responsible for ensuring that technology systems and related procedures adhere to organizational values while enabling staff and partners.
The DevOps Engineer will also assist developer and infrastructure teams with technical issues in the initiation, planning, and execution phases of projects. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. This role will need to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete or abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Must be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Chef knowledge and cookbook design.
- Plan, deploy, and maintain critical business applications in prod/non-prod environments.
- Design and implement appropriate environments for those applications, engineer suitable release management procedures and provide production support.
- Influence broader technology groups in adopting Cloud technologies, processes, and best practices.
- Drive improvements to processes and design enhancements to automation to continuously improve production environments.
- Maintain and contribute to our knowledge base and documentation.
- Provide leadership, technical support, user support, technical orientation, and technical education activities to project teams and staff.
- Manage change requests between development, staging, and production environments.
- Provision and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of automated processes.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, infrastructure upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Provide Tier II support for incidents and requests from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Research, develop, and implement innovative and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Reasoning Skills
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently without supervision while utilizing time management and multi-tasking skills is required. Must be able to remain calm in stressful situations in order to leverage a patient and methodical approach. This role also needs to be self-motivated to learn and seek out new information in a rapidly changing environment.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- This position involves supporting other company operated facilities which will require travel and potential overnight stays.
- On-call responsibilities extend beyond normal office hours and rotate on a weekly schedule.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Engineering, Mathematics, or Computer Science and/ or 7 years of experience leading complex problems in engineering
- Possess active certifications in the following: CCNP certification or higher knowledge of router and switches, CCNP Security certification preferred, and CCIE (or in-progress), VMWare, NetApp, F5/ Big IP, and Microsoft certifications are desirable
- Exercise back up or archival software knowledge in NetApp replication and/or VMWare
- Experience with configuration management software such as Ruby, Python, Chef, Linux, Windows, Kubernetes
- Function in various operation system software including Windows Server 2012, 2016, CentOS and Linux
- Expertise in database management system software including SQL and MySQL
- Utilize a high degree of complex problem solving and convey technical information effectively
- 24x7 operations experience required
With Atomic Data's service-centered approach to business, we are only as strong as the weakest link in our team. Our clients have high expectations for our services and so expectations for our employees are even higher. We’re a team of smart, dedicated, hard-working men and women that take pride in exceeding our client’s expectations at every turn.
Though we may work hard, we love to play hard too. Rewarding our employees is essential to maintaining our unrivaled service experience. Atomic Data knows how to keep our people happy with company benefits including monthly company/client BBQ's, fully stocked kitchens, health and dental coverage, 401(k) plan, cell-phone and Internet stipends, workout facilities, paid vacation and competitive salaries.
Integrity is the key to our success. We do what we say.